Kaldurg is a hill-fort which serves a good adventurous one day trek for nature lovers,weekend travelers and wanderers around Mumbai. It is at a height of 1547 feet above sea level. It takes approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hrs to reach the top.
Best time to visit: Throughout the Year
How to reach base Village(Temple):
By Public transport:
Reach Palghar station by Local train in Mumbai, walk to the bus stand or one has to take a Manor tumtum rickshaw(8 seater) from palghar station westside.Get down at Waghoba.
By Private Vehicle:
You have to take the the Nh 48 Highway towards Manor from Mumbai and turn Left from Manor towards Palghar and stop at waghoba khind which is 13Km away.
As I stay in Palghar i had my bike which was very convenient for me to reach waghoba.
Things to carry:
1) Water Bottle(2ltrs)
2) Snacks- Biscuits,Fruits,Wafers etc..
3) Energy Drink- Glucon D, Tang etc..
Features of the Trek:
1) The trek can be completed in a couple of hours, and is perfect for a group including children. There is only one stretch of rock face where one has to be careful during the monsoon. The rest of the path is well marked and easy to find without any guide.
2) Kaldurg is not very well fortified and there do not seem to be any ramparts that define its boundaries, nor any bastions. It seems to be more of an outpost to watch over the pass through which the Palghar-Manor road passes.
3) Monsoon is not the weather to enjoy the views, but the thrills of trekking in the rain and the exuberance or nature! The mountains are usually covered in fog and clouds, but the forest comes alive with bright greens and wild gusts of wind that can throw you over if you're not careful!
4) There is no place to stay on the fort. The plateau on the top is bare and offers little shade. However, there is sufficient space around the tank on the north to pitch a tent.
View from the Top
More Forts in the Palghar Region you can visit:
1) Tandulwadi Fort
2) Asava Fort
3) Mahim & Shirgaon Fort
4) Kelve Fort